Saturday, January 24, 2015

Tomb of Prophet Harun (upon him be peace)

The white building on top of this mountain is
believed to house the tomb of Harun (upon him
be peace) who was the brother of Musa (upon
him be peace). It is situated on top of Mount
Hor, close to the valley of Petra. It was built in
the 13th century, by the Mameluk Sultan Al Nasir
Mohammad.
Harun (upon him be peace) is mentioned by
name in the Holy Quran 20 times. In the Bible
he is known as Aaron.
When Musa (upon him be peace) was
commanded by Allah (Glorified and Exalted is
He) to go to Firawn (Pharoah) he made dua
for Prophethood to be bestowed on his brother
Harun so he could help him. Allah (Glorified
and Exalted is He) reproduces this dua in the
Holy Quran in Surah Ta Ha: “Moses said: “O
my Lord! Open for me my chest (grant me self-
confidence, contentment, and boldness). And
ease my task for me; and make loose the knot
(the defect) from my tongue, (remove the
incorrectness of my speech) that they
understand my speech, and appoint for me a
helper from my family, Aaron, my brother;
increase my strength with him, and let him
share my task (of conveying Allah’s Message
and Prophethood), and we may glorify You
much, and remember You much, Verily! You
are of us ever a Well-Seer.“ [20:25-35]
Harun (upon him be peace) was a gifted
speaker, and would often speak for Musa
(upon him be peace) who suffered from a
speech impediment. He was largely responsible
with teaching the Israelites the way of worship
as it was laid out in the Torah of that time.
Islam holds that Harun (upon him be peace)
held no part in causing the Israelites to
worship the golden calf. Rather, he was
overpowered and was threatened with being
killed by his people. When Musa (upon him be
peace) returned from the mount, he
immediately blamed Harun (upon him be
peace) and seized him by his beard, but Harun
(upon him be peace) then gave his
explanation, after which Musa (upon him be
peace) prayed to Allah to forgive both of them.
Amir bin Sa’d bin Abi Waqqas (may Allah be
pleased with him) reported (on the authority of
his father) that the Prophet (peace and
blessings of Allah be on him) said: “You are in
the same position with relation to me as Harun
was in relation to Musa but with (this explicit
difference) that there is no prophet after
me.” [Muslim]
Harun (upon him be peace) is said to have
lived for 122 years.
References: Stories of the Prophets – Ibn Kathir,
Atlas of the Quran – Dr. Shauqi Abu Khalili
Note that this entry has been shown for
information purposes only. On no account should
anybody pray towards a grave or seek
supplication through them as this is tantamount
to committing shirk, associating partners with
Allah (Glorified and Exalted is He).



Source Wikipedia


Map of Current Shrine near Petra

The dotted lines at the top of the
map indicate older burials, perhaps
from the Byzantine period when the
location was first identified with
Aaron and inhabited by Christian
monks. It is possible that the site
was associated earlier with
Nabataean deities

Source www.usna.edu

Source Wikipedia

Source islamicsupremecouncil.com ( 2 photos )

No comments:

Post a Comment