Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Buraq masjid

This small structure, on the south-west corner of
the al-Aqsa compound is believed to be the
place where the Prophet Muhammed (peace and
blessings of Allah be on him) tied the Buraq, the
winged riding animal upon which he rode during
the Night of Ascension. The wall on the right is
the other side of what the Jews call the Wailing
Wall.
It is narrated on the authority of Anas bin
Malik (may Allah be pleased with him) that the
Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on
him) said, “I was brought al-Buraq who is an
animal white and long, larger than a donkey
but smaller than a mule, who would place his
hoof a distance equal to the range of vision. I
mounted it and came to Bayt al-Maqdis. I
tethered it to the ring used by the prophets. I
entered the mosque and prayed two rak’ahs in
it, and then came out and Jibraeel brought me
a vessel of wine and a vessel of milk. I chose
the milk, and Jibraeel said: You have chosen
the natural thing. Then he took me to heaven.
Jibraeel then asked the (gate of heaven) to be
opened and he was asked who he was. He
replied: Jibraeel. He was again asked: Who is
with you? He (Jibraeel) said: Muhammed
(peace and blessings of Allah be on him). It
was said: Has he been sent for? Jibraeel
replied: He has indeed been sent for. And (the
door of the heaven) was opened for us and lo!
we saw Adam (upon him be peace). He
welcomed me and prayed for my good. Then
we ascended to the second heaven. Jibraeel
asked for the door of heaven to be opened, and
he was asked who he was. He answered:
Jibraeel; and was again asked: Who is with
you? He replied: Muhammed (peace and
blessings of Allah be on him) It was said: Has
he been sent for? He replied: He has indeed
been sent for. The gate was opened. When I
entered ‘Isa bin Maryam and Yahya bin
Zakarriyah (upon him be peace), cousins from
the maternal side, welcomed me and prayed for
my good Then I was taken to the third heaven
and Jibraeel asked for the opening (of the
door). He was asked: Who are you? He replied:
Jibraeel. He was (again) asked: Who is with
you? He replied Muhammed (peace and
blessings of Allah be on him). It was said: Has
he been sent for? He replied He has indeed
been sent for. (The gate) was opened for us
and I saw Yusuf (upon him be peace) who had
been given half of (world) beauty. He
welcomed me and prayed for my well-being.
Then he ascended with us to the fourth
heaven. Jibraeel asked for the (gate) to be
opened, and it was said: Who is he? He
replied: Jibraeel. It was (again) said: Who is
with you? He said: Muhammad (peace and
blessings of Allah be on him). It was said: Has
he been sent for? He replied: He has indeed
been sent for. The (gate) was opened for us,
and lo! Idris (upon him be peace) was there.
He welcomed me and prayed for my well-being
(About him) Allah, the Exalted and the
Glorious, has said:” We elevated him (Idris) to
the exalted position” [19: 57]. Then he
ascended with us to the fifth heaven and
Jibraeel asked for the (gate) to be opened. It
was said: Who is he? He replied Jibraeel. It
was (again) said: Who is with thee? He
replied: Muhammed (peace and blessings of
Allah be on him). It was said Has he been sent
for? He replied: He has indeed been sent for.
(The gate) was opened for us and then I was
with Harun (upon him be peace). He welcomed
me prayed for my well-being. Then I was taken
to the sixth heaven. Jibraeel asked for the door
to be opened. It was said: Who is he? He
replied: Jibraeel. It was said: Who is with
thee? He replied: Muhammed (peace and
blessings of Allah be on him). It was said: Has
he been sent for? He replied: He has indeed
been sent for. (The gate) was opened for us
and there I was with Musa (upon him be
peace) He welcomed me and prayed for my
well-being. Then I was taken up to the seventh
heaven. Jibraeel asked the (gate) to be
opened. It was said: Who is he? He said:
Jibraeel. It was said. Who is with thee? He
replied: Muhammed (peace and blessings of
Allah be on him) It was said: Has he been sent
for? He replied: He has indeed been sent for.
(The gate) was opened for us and there I
found Ebrahim (upon him be peace) reclining
against the Bait-ul-Ma’mur and there enter
into it 70,000 angels every day, never to visit
(this place) again. Then I was taken to Sidrat-
ul-Muntaha whose leaves were like elephant
ears and its fruit like big earthenware vessels.
And when it was covered by the Command of
Allah, it underwent such a change that none
amongst the creation has the power to praise
its beauty. Then Allah revealed to me a
revelation and He made obligatory for me fifty
prayers every day and night. Then I went down
to Musa (upon him be peace) and he said:
What has your Lord enjoined upon your
Ummah? I said: Fifty prayers. He said: Return
to thy Lord and beg for reduction (in the
number of prayers), for your community shall
not be able to bear this burden as I have put
to test the Children of Israel and tried them
(and found them too weak to bear such a
heavy burden). The Prophet (peace and
blessings of Allah be on him) said: I went back
to my Lord and said: My Lord, make things
lighter for my Ummah. (The Lord) reduced five
prayers for me. I went down to Musa (upon
him be peace) and said. (The Lord) reduced
five (prayers) for me, He said: Verily thy
Ummah shall not be able to bear this burden;
return to thy Lord and ask Him to make things
lighter. I then kept going back and forth
between my Lord, Blessed and Exalted and
Musa (upon him be peace), till He said: There
are five prayers every day and night. O
Muhammed, each being credited as ten, so
that makes fifty prayers. He who intends to do
a good deed and does not do it will have a
good deed recorded for him; and if he does it,
it will be recorded for him as ten; whereas he
who intends to do an evil deed and does not
do, it will not be recorded for him; and if he
does it, only one evil deed will be recorded. I
then came down and when I came to Musa
(upon him be peace) and informed him, he
said: Go back to thy Lord and ask Him to
make things lighter. Upon this the Messenger
of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be on
him) remarked: I returned to my Lord until I
felt ashamed before Him.”
References: Sahih Muslim

No comments:

Post a Comment